The prescribed burn will take place in the following areas:
- Slip Off area, 190 acres, Swain County
- Rattlesnake Knob area, 248 acres, Macon County
- Alarka Laurel area, 697 acres, Swain County
- Dirty John area, 830 acres, Macon County
- Steeltrap Knob area, 872 acres, Macon County
- Pine Mtn. area, 704 acres, Macon County
The dates for each burn will be announced as they are decided and weather permitting.
The prescribed burns will reduce the amount of fuel on the forest floor, preventing catastrophic wildfire and reducing risks to nearby communities. Prescribed burning also helps improve forest health and wildlife habitat. Public safety is the highest priority during a prescribed burn.
Click here to learn more about restoring fire to the mountains.
Feel free to share any post from the WKRK website that you feel is beneficial to your community. We encourage input from local law enforcement, government officials, emergency management officials, schools and other public service organizations. To send us information, use the form on our WKRK Info page.
646 total views, 1 views today